Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment by using shockwave transmission or high-pressure shockwaves emitted from outside the body to overcome the pain or inflammation around the joints. The feeling of pain can be due to the presence of calcification around the joint or inflammation of the binding tissue between muscle and bone (tendonitis).
How does Shockwave therapy Singapore works?
The shockwave therapy generates high-energy shockwaves, first pass through the skin and the layers of tissue underneath to force your body to generate new tissue cells in the damaged area. They only become effective in the area at which the doctor has set the penetration depth.
The desired effects are:
- Dispersing of calcium deposits
- Stimulation of the healing mechanisms of the body
- Stimulation of bone growth (case of pseudarthrosis)
Is shockwave therapy painful?
Some patients may feel a bit painful or discomfort during the procedure. Prior to the shockwave therapy treatment, our doctors will give a local anaesthetic to the patient. After ESWT, you may experience mild bruising, swelling, pain, numbness, or tingling in the treated area, and the recovery is minimal compared with that of surgical intervention.
How many times of shockwave therapy is needed?
- The treatment is completed as a single session or in a course of several sessions for severe cases. Some patients may feel no pain after the first session.
- Depending on the illness involved, our Doctors will decide the number and strength of the shockwave to be administered.
- The duration of the treatment at each session is 10 to 20 minutes.
Results of Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave therapy is particularly useful in tackling cases of chronic pain and has a success rate of 70% in each chronic pain case. ESWT is indeed a new therapeutic solution, and technology for dealing with pain syndromes that combine accuracy, speed, safety, and effectiveness with very low complication rates.